Tuesday 24 March 2009

Contemporary Quilt Group Journal Quilt


~
I can't believe that I have again managed to finish my Journal Quilt on time! Unfortunately I still can't get the colours to show accurately as they are much richer in reality (more turquoise) but you can get the general idea. The photograph was taken in the conservatory this morning so the light was not perfect and accounts for a little shadow on the piece. I have added waves of stitching to secure the velvet where it had been cut through and a scattering of beads, and finished the edge with satin stitch. I am not worried by the fraying on the velvet as I feel this adds to the feeling of waves and spray.
~
This quilt has been really enjoyable and has opened up lots of possibilities in my mind including working it on a larger scale.
~
We have been away for a few days so I am still catching up so will be back in a day or three. I would like to thank you all for the lovely comments on my last post. It's wonderful to get such supportive comments when you're feeling a bit doubtful! :o)
~
* I have uploaded a photo today (25 March) that is a bit closer to the actual colours.

14 comments:

Genie said...

Lovely work Julie,

Sandra Wyman said...

Was catching up but you're now a whole month ahead of me again. Oh well... must try to get March's done before the month is out (luckily it's going to be a fairly straightforward one I hope). This is lovely Julie and you're right about the fraying - it really works. Love the colours and the contrasting textures.

Maggi said...

The fraying really does give the effect of spray. A lovely piece

Heather said...

This is lovely Julie, and makes me think of stained glass. It has the same richness even if the colour isn't quite accurate.

Ro Bruhn said...

This is beautiful Julie, it looks very much like stained glass, the colour's lovely.

Sharne Gregory said...

Its lovely Julie, it certainly captures the mood of the sea.

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful colors and great texture. What is the scale of this piece?

sharon young said...

Excellent finish, Julie, it's a very evocative piece and the beads/stitching really finish it beautifully without overdoing it.
Many thanks for your comment on my post, it was a wonderful day out.

Gina said...

This is a beautiful piece of work Julie. Lovely colours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie, it's been wonderful to see your creative process as it unfolded in these two posts. I LOVED your painting of the sea - there was so much movement in it and the finished quilt is beautiful - such vibrant colours. EMma x

Unknown said...

Looks great Julie!

Dot said...

Delicious Julie - I love the colors. And wish I could reach through the screen and touch it!

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

This is beautiful, love the textures you've created and all that beading. You have more patience than me! What sort of size is it? It's interesting how it manages to be both vibrant and relaxing at the same time.

If you have a scanner, and if your pieces will fit it, you can often get a better image of such things by scanning them than with a photo, especially if the light isn't very good. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've scanned - probably the most unlikely is a bottle of pepsi max!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

A beautiful quilted piece with lovely sea colours. It's always nice to see your work Julie :o)