Sunday 15 March 2009

What Else?

So what else was there? Since 2007 the United Kingdom Hand Knitting Association and Simply Knitting Magazine have been collaborating on this project inspired by Shaun the Sheep. This wonderful PicKnit is the result and is a fantastic showcase of of people's skill and imagination.
~


~
There was so much inspirational work at the Show but I have to single out Wendy Dolan's work which really resonanted with me.
~
~
The image above is a card which I bought from her stand. It is a print of a textile of hers. Wendy works with layers of fabric, cotton, calico, scrim, to which she adds various textures, sand, acrylic flakes and which she then works into with machine embroidery and finally paints. It is the type of work that I am keen to explore and I would love to do a workshop with her one day.
~
Needless to say shopping figured in the day! I didn't intend to shop much but I seem to have indulged in quite a bit of naughtiness! The ribbon hank is sari ribbon which I can see being used in lots of ways and which may figure in a Journal Quilt. I bought some supplies for silk paper making and a couple of stamps and embellishments for a couple of projects. It's a good job I save my £2 coins!
~

~
I managed to meet up with Wendy from the MixedMediaATC_UK Yahoo group that I'm in and we had a nice chat, it's always good to put real faces to the names you swap with online, isn't it? All in all it was an interesting day with lots of inspiration and ended up with a nice snooze on the coach going home.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Genie said...

Glad you had a great time Julie,
thanks for sharing, Have a rest this week think you deserve it.

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Lots of lovely shopping and goodies, it has to be done! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist!

Good idea, I shall have to start saving my £2 coins for September, the next "Creative Stitches Show" at Exeter. I won't tell you how much I blow on "naughtiness" at these shows, good job they are only once a year LOL

Carolyn