Tuesday 12 July 2011

Momoyama

Despite the fact that my entry for the Festival of Quilts still isn't made I have been indulging in some displacement activity.  My excuse is I've runout of Extravorganza and I'm waiting for a delivery.  So last Thursday I went to my monthly quilt group and joined in with a day of bag making.


The book was based on a pattern from this book and despite finding the cutting instructions a bit confusing the bag went together smoothly. (You can look inside the book here.)


The pattern confused me because it seemed to be referring to the front focus piece as the back.


The back was pieced to include some of my hand dyed fabric and I decided to use a pattern stitch from my machine for some of the top stitching.



These dangly details on the sides (otherwise known as ties) were probably the hardest part.  My DH had to help me turn them through!  (I've just realised the toggles belong to another pattern so I could have just left the ties plain, or maybe stitched a large bead or button on.  They were fun to make though despite the turning problems).

Several ladies finished their bags on the day but I had to spend the best part of a further day finishing mine.  You can see another version of this Momoyama bag on my friend's blog here. Wendy made her bag without the aid of a tutor or a safety net ;-) 

PS You may have noticed a photo of Belstead House where we had our Summer School at the top of my sidebar.  Plans are afoot to close this  excellent Learning Centre next year and a petition has been organised to try and change the Council's mind.  I think we are all aware of the sad lack of resources available to adults wanting to increase their learning so please consider clicking the link and signing the petition.  The deadline is next Tuesday 19 July. 

23 comments:

ju-north said...

Your bag is wonderful! You are clever!

Sue Wild said...

Lovely bag, fab colours. That's one thing a girl cannot have too much of.

Diane Kelsey said...

I agree that the instructions are difficult to follow. I am half way through making the bag, I intend finishing it soon so that I can use it at the Festival of Quilts. Love your choice of fabric

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Love your bag.x

Gina said...

Very professional looking bag Julie. I think we're going to be at FOQ on the same day again.

Heather said...

Your bag is beautiful - lovely fabrics and a change from your usual colours though I love those too. It would go perfectly with my new shoes! I love the dangly bits - your struggle with them was worth the effort. Do hope Belstead House gets a reprieve.

pam said...

Wow missed your last post - and Belstead looks wonderful glad you had such a good time you deserved the break. Love the bag, it is lovely. Good luck with getting your quilt finished.

quilthexle said...

Lovely bag! It sure was worth the effort - and I love how you used your handdyed fabrics.

Unknown said...

Great bag Julie might even buy the pattern and make one myself.

Mrs Moog said...

What a fabulous bag! I love the colours you've used :o)

xx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic bag Julie. More than I could do in a million years. Quite wonderful really. xox Corrine

Angela said...

The bag is lovely Julie. I know someone else that made the same bag and said the instructions were not very clear.

Wendy said...

I love the fabrics you chose, zingy and cheerful - my favorite colours :)
I have tube turners - a piece of rigid plastic tubing with a slightly smaller dowel, they make the job so easy. If I can remember where I got them from I will pass the info on

Timaree said...

Wow! Beautiful bag! Your stitching and fabrics all worked together to make something super.

Anonymous said...

Lovely bag, Julie. I always admire folk who are brave enough to make things from Japanese patterns. Why oh why can't they be translated? Thank you so much for your lovely comment, btw. ;-) xx

carole brungar said...

Hi Julie, just been for a fabulous long walk thru your blog, haven't had much time for that lately. Had a ball, lovely visits and scenes and some gorgeous art work, as usual!
Hope you're keeping well?
Hugs, Carole

DILLY said...

Julie be vewy clever an luvly an mayke luvly things.

Dilly been helpin Mummy mayke bags too, ickol felt bags fwom croshay but Mummy hav rest now as croshay hert rists.

If hav time, pleez come vote in Dilly new poll!!!

¬"

Anonymous said...

I signed the petition for Belstead but had to fib and put in my parents' address to do it as they're only accepting signatures from people who work or live in Suffolk, even though Belstead is used by people from outside the county. Is it my cynicism or is it Suffolk County Council's way of cutting down on signatures...?

Linda Vincent said...

Wow, your bag is luscious Julie; you are so talented! Love those dangly things.....
XX

Emma said...

A lovely piece of procrastination!
Great colors & we always need a bag or 2!

hediye said...

Well, I fully agree that the instructions are difficult to follow. I am half way through making the bag, I intend finishing it soon and I sure you like my first bag work.

save a marriage said...

Marvelous, It made with only one material and because of it looks very simple and stylish. The belt of bag is very beautiful.

Promosyon said...

Just now finished work of little purse. I mixed all types of fabric and colours in my single bag. working with various fabric was such a fun idea and enjoyed lot.