Sunday 18 December 2011

Good News and More Canaries


I'm pleased and delighted to be able to tell you that we have at last completed the sale of my mother's house in Essex.  We are having to sell it to pay for her care in a care home and have had a roller coaster ride over the past 6 months when the first proposed purchaser had to pull out.  Happily we have been lucky enough to find another buyer and the sale has completed.  What a great Christmas present for us all, although it is tinged with sadness as this was my mother's home for 49 years and my own home from the age of 9 until I went to college at the age of 18. At least now we can feel confident that the money is available for Mum's continuing care.

As is usual at this time of year time is rapidly disappearing and it's taken me over a week to follow up on my blog about our holiday in the Canaries.   As you might expect from an artist I was always on the lookout for interesting textures and patterns in our wanderings ashore.  These houses in back streets in Madeira and La Palma caught our eye.





I particularly like the house in the third image which not only looks as if part of it is upside down but has some lovely textures that invite stitched interpretation.






These wonderful tree trunk and seedpod shapes also caught our eye.  The seedpods were about 10" long!



These amazing painted faces adorned doors in Madeira.




So much inspiration for future work!
It's amazing what unexpected sights you do see wandering about on a sunny autumn afternoon in the Canaries.  We wondered what we had come across when these characters walked down the street:






It was a very surreal experience to sit in the sunshine and watch as all these people in turn came out and told their stories.  Apparently we had come across a Festival of story telling and dance performed by La Mascara Theatre Group with the Vigord Jazz Dance Group.  My DH has a good selection of more detailed photos here.



I leave you with a photo of two collages by Cesar Manrique (excuse the reflections as they are under glass).  These two charmers are providing me with inspiration for my next two journal quilts which I really should have finished by now, especially with Christmas coming up.  I have a busy week coming up but hopefully I will be able to show you progress on my versions by the end of the week.


13 comments:

Emma said...

What a wealth of texture! Lovely old houses.

So glad the sale went thru, good to feel secure & it's just something that had to be done - your mother would thank you.

Happy Christmas to you too, lookng forward to quiet time.

Ro Bruhn said...

So glad the sale was successful, I know from experience the difference it can make to all concerned when you know the money's there for their care.
What a great holiday and such inspiring photos. Have a lovely Christmas and a very creative 2012

Gina said...

Good news about your Mum's house Julie. Those portraits on the doors are fabulous.

Heather said...

What a relief to have secured the sale of your Mum's house - we had to do the same for my Mum, but it is so good to know her future care is secured.
Your holiday pics are stunning. Isn't it odd that we find the old decaying properties more photogenic than the smart new ones?! Wonderful shapes and textures.
Don't work too hard and have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Peneller said...

So pleased your sale has completed. That will take the pressure off even though it is a bit sad parting with your family home. Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy St Ives!
Love Penny xx

Angela said...

That's great news about your mums house. I love the pics of the houses, so much texture.

sharon young said...

Hi julie, great news about your Mum's house sale, we 're having such a hard job with selling houses at the moment, it must be such a relief.
I love these wonderful pics, I was looking this morning, my new indulgence surfing in bed on my iPhone, it was dark and no sun but your pics put a smile on my face, thank you.
Thanks too for dropping in on my blog, always lovely to see you.

imac said...

Great pics and post my sweet, and thanks for the link too.

jan said...

So pleased for you with the house sale. I love your photo's especially the one with the blue door ... lovely, hope you have a great Christmas..x

Anonymous said...

So happy you were able to sell Mum's place and take such a fabulous holiday. Thanks for sharing it with us! xox Corrine Happy Christmas, jingle jingle.

pam said...

Oh that is such good news regarding the house, and let's hope that 2012 is kinder to you. Thanks for sharing the photos they are lovely and as you say lots of projects for you - look forward to seeing them!!

Mrs Mac said...

Wonderful stuff!

Love the wiggly tree!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos. That 'upside down housse' is great and I love the intense blue of the distressed door.