Saturday 9 January 2016

Saori Banner

One year into the new year and himself and myself are already sick.  Ok, it's nothing serious but we've both got the really disgusting cough and cold that's going about and it's so debillitating!  So far we've missed a new year holiday and a party tonight so we're not happy bunnies.  Who knew a cough could get you so low?

OK.  Moan over, we are on the mend after all.  Well, almost.  Before the germs hit we had a quiet but enjoyable Christmas with some friends.  It seems a long time ago now.  Fortunately I got lots of chocolate which I've heard is good for coughs so I will have to force myself to eat it.  Cough!

This last week in between feeling rotten I've been working on a banner for an event at Norwich Forum in February.  I found out about the event through The Saori Shed at Diss where I am hoping to go next week if this cold is under control.


I tried a few new things with this banner.  I havn't worked text or shapes before so thought I'd have a go.

I've also incorporated a floating weft, as it's called.  You carry the weft (cross thread) from row to row so that it hangs loose.

This fabric needs to be washed tomorrow and finished but I'm very happy with it and hope Kim at The Saori Shed will like it for the display.  It's about 6' long, although I havn't measured.  I'll hope to get a photo of it hanging tomorrow but I was impatient to show it off.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I do hope you will both soon be feeling better. Hopefully some colder and drier weather will kill of some of the germs that are doing the rounds.
Your weaving is wonderful - you have obviously thoroughly embraced a new technique.

Jackie said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry that you and Stewart are under the weather.
Rest.
Please.
Get plenty of rest. I can't speak highly enough of resting your body when you are sick.
Sending you both love.
Jackie

Amanda said...

I hope the chocolate is helping! Not nice to be ill. Get well soon. Xxx

Anonymous said...

Love this work you are doing it's so textural and just plain FUN. xox

Emma said...

I've had a bit of a cough since the Youngest came home from new year celebrations but it was worth it to see him! Good to know that the weft 'hanging loose' has a name! I've always woven 3 rows & tied a knot at each end, then carried on with a different colour. a bit bulky but nicely varied. Would love to learn about making shapes in the weaving one day. I have NO DOUBT they will be interested in displaying your piece!

Maggi said...

I do hope you both get better soon. Glad to hear you managed to accumulate some 'medicine ' for the cough.

You are doing really well with the weaving.

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh THAT cough Julie - I had it just leading up to Christmas, with the cold thing so it took all my energy to prepare for Christmas. Fortunately there was just Jon and myself to cook Christmas dinner for, unlike previous soup kitchen occasions - shortly after Christmas Jon caught it (Rolls eyes) We are over it now - but still got a cough.